Monday, January 16, 2012

Beware the labels that prevent relationship

Being a follower of Jesus comes with a single mission, which sounds remarkably simple. Who wouldn't like a job description with just one assignment? But, that assignment is impossible without Jesus because only through His power can we rise above the Earthly pull against accomplishing it.

In Matthew 28:18-19, Jesus speaks to His followers (then, now, and tomorrow) and says, “All authority on heaven and on Earth has been given to me.” That means that everything comes under the authority of Jesus Christ. Everything. Then, Jesus says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Go.
Make Disciples.
It's not an offer to followers; it's a command. It's a commissioning - an assignment to be completed. Pass or fail.
Jesus tells those of us who follow Him that we have only one mission to our lives: To share Jesus with people, introduce those people to Jesus, and help them on the journey to being followers themselves.
And, that directive comes without qualifiers. Jesus says go “to all nations” or to everyone. He doesn’t say go to this group or that group, family or friends, strangers or those in foreign countries. He says, “all nations” or “everyone.”

So, today, from the time my feet hit the floor until my head hits the pillow, my only goal is to make disciples. Wherever I am, whatever I am doing, my goal is to reflect the Jesus who died for me, and point others to the cross.

Really, everyone?

In the story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:29-37), Jesus reminds us that we are to love our neighbor. Who is our neighbor? Everyone. The Samaritans and the Jews despised one another, and yet this story shows how a Samaritan cared for a wounded Jew (a stranger at that), and cared for him completely – with time and money. Jesus says that in making disciples we must rise above the world’s prejudices and labels, which tear down relationships and become barriers to sharing faith.

In these political days, especially this political year, our culture becomes about labels. Conservative v. Liberal. Republican v. Democrat. White v. Black. Rich v. Poor. White-collar v. Blue-collar. Employed v. unemployed. And, on and on.
Earthly labels polarize us, placing us in well-defined, comfortable groups. Labels are used to tear down relationships rather than build relationships.
Earthly labels make it tough – if not impossible – to share the message of Jesus.
Beware the labels.

Here’s the indictment of our faith: If I claim to love and follow Jesus, but allow labels to prevent relationships with anyone and everyone, I am in fact not following Jesus and in direct opposition to His orders for my life. There’s no wiggle room there.

Certainly, I’m not suggesting we like or embrace the views of all people – political or social, and we have a responsibility to take a stand for right and wrong – but we cannot fail to love all people. Even in our debates, we must rise above the labels and the worldly conversations to remember this: I am called to build relationships with everyone, toward a goal of winning some for my Savior. (1 Corinthians 9:22-23: “To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some.” ~ Paul.)

Be careful of the labeling. You and I are missionaries to every person. We must be willing to do anything, go anywhere, love anyone in order to see some become followers of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment