Sunday, April 7, 2013

God will discipline those who are His


Does God punish us?

As I have told you before, I was especially rebellious in my 20s, leading to some ugliness in my life as I reached 30. My mama, who had introduced me to Jesus and followed my Christian journey all my life, said to me one day, “Scott, God will not let ONE OF HIS continue to rebel like this.” Those words penetrated me and caused me to pause. She did not speak those words in anger. In fact, it was her lips moving, but it was the voice of God speaking to me. That is why I can tell you that God will not let us call Jesus, Lord, and then continue to purposely live our lives with self-indulgence. If I do that, I will be disciplined by God. If you live that way, you too will be disciplined by God.

But, let's start this discussion elsewhere and come back to that.

We all sin, and we sin (love self more than we love God and others) throughout our lives. We sin by putting our plans ahead of God's plans. We sin when we choose the smart action rather than the right action. We can't escape sin. Sin is with us from birth to death. And, because God is sinless, and all of creation belongs to God, God must punish sin.

It's like we're born on Death Row. But, there's hope! God sent Jesus to free us from Death Row. Those who confess Jesus as their Lord & Savior from sin are spared God's wrath. As a follower of Jesus, my sin - past, present and future - were punished on the cross, where Jesus was crucified. Paul writes in Romans 8:1, "So, now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." Because of Jesus' sacrifice, God sees only the righteousness of Jesus when He looks at believers. Our sins were nailed to the cross with Jesus, and we will never be punished for them. That's why we call Jesus the Good News. It is Good News to be freed from Death Row.

The unbeliever, sadly, does not have a relationship with God through Jesus. He or she is not saved from sin. The unbeliever may live a good life with what they perceive as rich blessing, but the unbeliever remains on Death Row. Dying on Death Row, the unbeliever receives God's death penalty, and spends eternity in a real and literal place called hell. God doesn't send people to hell; people choose to be there.

Let's now turn our attention back to the believers, spared from the God's wrath on sin. Though forgiven and saved, sin remains in our lives. But, believers have the Holy Spirit living within them. And, the Spirit cries out when we sin, telling us to avoid or flee from the sinful behavior, or thought, or action. As we are counseled by the Spirit that we are involved in sin and we don't repent of the sin, continuing to take up the sin, God will step in and discipline us in a divine way.

It's a parent-child relationship.

When the boys were little, if I told them to stop doing something, and they kept doing it out of defiance or neglect, I whipped them. I certainly loved them, and the whipping was to shape them into the men that Vicki and I wanted them to grow up and be. It was not a spanking to hurt them, but to get their attention and shape them. My preferred discipline style was a whipping. Other parents choose isolation punishment or the removal of activities. I preferred whippings because I could take care of business in less than three minutes, correct the behavior, and not have to keep up with how long someone had been in timeout, and I was not going to punish an entire baseball team by keeping my son out of practice. But, the point is this: As we discipline children for rebellious behavior, we can expect God to discipline us for continued rebellious behavior. That’s what my mama meant when she said, “God will not let ONE OF HIS continue to rebel like this.”

If you don't ever feel God's discipline - through the Holy Spirit, the words of others, or through a situation - you may not be saved from sin. I say this because I can't imagine a Holy God who loves you ignoring your desire to do, and act, outside of His plan for you as a follower of Jesus. I believe that all believers are regularly disciplined. I know I am, and I can't imagine that other believers are any different than me.

In Hebrews 12:7-13 (NLT), we read, "As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as His own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful! But, afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. So, take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong."

We should be thankful that God loves us enough to discipline us, shaping us as stronger followers of Jesus.

Why is the discipline necessary, you ask? Well, to make us more like Jesus, yes, but read again Hebrews 12:13. You and I have a responsibility to live lives that encourage the weak in faith. We will be disciplined when our lives have a negative impact on the weak in faith. The next time you socialize with friends, please keep that in mind. People are always watching. Believers must reflect the One they claim to follow. Failing to be conscious of the weak is grounds for discipline. It will sting.

God's discipline is designed to turn us from rebellion to obedience. It's to open our eyes more clearly to God's calling on our lives. Read what David writes in Psalms 32:3-5, "When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the Lord." And, you forgave me! All my guilt is gone." So, God's discipline is from a place of love. It is a shaping of our lives to a more peaceful, hopeful, and loving existence.

Okay, Scott, how does God discipline us, specifically? Well, none of us are God, none of us can understand the ways of God, and God can choose to discipline as He sees fit. But, here's some thoughts for you:

  1. The discipline will be from a place of love. It will not be from a place of hard-heartedness or cruelty. My analogy. God's discipline will be more like a spanking; not a torturous event like cutting off your fingers. But, the spanking will have sting to it, it will get our attention, and it will cause us to confess sin and turn from it. When we do that, God promises peace.
  2. The discipline will fit the sin, and you will be able to recognize that it does so. This is how God teaches us.
  3. The believer will know he or she deserved the discipline. Because of the Holy Spirit within us, there will be brokenness and repentance. David wrote that he groaned all day under the weight of God's discipline. Come on, as a follower you know - you know to your core - when you have done wrong, acted wrong, said something wrong, and taken the low road. You know when you've been ugly. I do, and I know you do, too. And, because I belong to God - as a follower of Jesus - I can expect discipline for regular and unrepentant selfishness.
Very personally, I hear God's discipline through Vicki. I hear it through my dearest friends. I feel it to my core. God will take me to the desert to teach me, too. For me, personally, God takes His hands off my life and I start sinking. I'm restless, I'm not at peace, I'm worried, I'm frustrated, I'm sleepless, and I'm mildly depressed. Then I cry out, beg forgiveness, and peace is restored. That's how God's discipline works for me.

What inquiring minds want to know, because we are all sinners, is this: When do "they" get their discipline, and can I watch? We have this fascination with wanting to see others punished for what "they" do, specifically if "they" are doing it to me and mine. That's a very sinful attitude, because it inserts "me" in the discipline of others by a Holy God for my satisfaction. The prayer should not be, "Sic'em, Lord" but instead, "Use me Lord to love them into a stronger relationship with you." Big difference.

What about those who claim to love Jesus, but seem to sin their entire lives? Well, this leads us back to conversations of The Narrow Gate, right? If someone perpetually sins, and never turns from it, there’s a strong chance that person does not know the Lord at all – regardless of what they say and do. Why? Because a follower of Jesus is going to be disciplined, will realize it, and turn from the sinful behavior. So, our responsibility is to build relationship with that person toward the opportunity of sharing Jesus with them. We can’t turn from them, nose in the air, and give them the middle finger.

Some people have addiction problems. I understand that. While we all have a sin problem, in some believers sin has rooted and manifested into addiction – sexual, alcohol, chemical to name some. If the addict is a believer, God’s discipline will drive that person to seek professional help, including, possibly, Christian counseling.That’s why there is always hope for every person – even those whose sinful nature has gotten out of their control.

But understand something. It all begins with Jesus. Know Jesus as your Savior, and escape God's punishment on sin. Know Jesus and lean on the Holy Spirit for right direction in daily living. Enjoy today – and in eternity – the love, hope and peace that comes with Jesus victory over your sin. Thank God for the continuous shaping He does with me and you through His divine discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment