Monday, May 5, 2014

Heaven: Will we know one another?

Despite all the sickness, problems and pain in this world, we are in love with one another. It’s our love for one another that makes this world worth enduring. I can’t imagine – do not want to imagine – my life without my Vicki. And, we love our friends, don’t we? I have loved social media because it has allowed me to connect with people in all the chapters of my life – and not just connect with them but allow them to be easily accessible.

Scripture tells us to "love one another" and we do. And, that's really what makes the thought of death so painful to us. We don't want to say "good bye" and we don't people we love saying "good-bye" to us. Our lives become tangled with one another. Death rips it all apart and that is painful. We hate the idea of it, and we dread it, too.

Some of our funeral parlor cliche focuses on "seeing them again one day," but is that true? I believe it is.

But, again, let me caution you as never before: I really flinch over people who come to faith because they want to go to heaven one day. We must come to Jesus because we recognize our sinfulness and we crave restoration with our God. We recognize that a belief in Jesus - in heart and in mind - is the only way that restoration is possible. And, as we are saved from God's wrath, through Jesus, we enter our eternity today. At the moment our human body shuts down completely, we simply move on in life to be in heaven. Heaven is a reward - not a reason.

When I think about heaven, I believe we will see our friends and loved ones in heaven, and we will be able to spend time with them. But, our primary focus will be experiencing God and enjoying the wonders of heaven. I think it will be like going to a giant birthday party, where many of my family and friends will be. I will know a lot of people, I will mix and mingle with a  lot of people, and I will laugh and enjoy the company of a lot of people, but THE PARTY and the GUEST OF HONOR will be the focal point of the party.

From Scripture, we get the idea that people are recognizable in heaven:
  • 1 Samuel 28:8-17 : King Saul recognized Samuel when the witch of Endor summoned him from the realm of the dead.
  •  2 Samuel 12:23 : David says that he will recognize his infant son that had died.
  •  Luke 16:19-31 : Abraham, Lazarus, and the rich man were all recognizable after death.
  •  Matthew 17:3-4: Moses and Elijah were both recognizable after death.
  •  1 John 3:2 : “But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.” 1 Corinthians 15:47 : “And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality.”
  •  People recognized Jesus after His resurrection. (John 20:16, 20; 21:12; 1 Corinthians 15:4-7). If Jesus was recognizable in His glorified body, we will be recognizable in our glorified bodies.
Will Vicki and I be married in heaven?
No. Why do we have marriage on Earth? Eve was made because Adam needed a companion. Second, there was the need to procreate. Neither of those will be needed in heaven, and so therefore there won’t be a need for marriage. Vicki and I will know one another, and I believe we will know we were married here. And, we will enjoy fellowship in heaven. But, we won’t be married. Matthew 22:23-30.

Will I be sad if I don’t see certain people?

Revelation 21:4 reminds us that “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain for the old order of things has passed away.”

We won’t be sad and so we won’t mourn those we don’t see. 1 John 3:2 says that through following Jesus, we are already God’s children. As one of God's children, and through my faith in Jesus, I will be 100 percent at peace with who is in heaven. I will completely understand why some are not in heaven. Why? Because they chose not to believe in Jesus while they were on Earth.

Now, that’s hard to understand when we stand here today and think about children, brothers, sisters and parents who might not be with us in heaven. That’s why there should be an urgency, today, to confront people we love with the gospel. 

Will I know my unborn child in heaven?Psalm 139:13-16 reminds us that we were knitted together before we were born; that God saw us before we were born. We were woven together in the dark of the womb. In God's eyes, we became "born" at the moment of conception.

Romans 6:23 says "the wages of sin is death." Unborn children, babies and even children who can't clarify right from wrong have, in fact, willfully sinned. Psalm 51:5 says that that every child born is born with a sinful nature and is subject to judgement. God must punish all sin.

But, Psalm 136:26 reveals God as a God of goodness and mercy. Psalm 145:17 says God is gracious in all His works. 

In 2 Samuel 12, God causes David's infant son to die. The son was conceived in an adulterous relationship with Bathsheba. David then orchestrated for Bathsheba's husband to go to the front lines of battle. David ordered that the troops retreat, leaving Uriah exposed to the enemy so he would be killed.

David mourns the death of his son and in 2 Samuel 12:23 says, "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me." This implies that God has given David comfort that David will see his son one day in heaven.

I trust completely that Vicki and I will one day see the baby we lost through miscarriage. I believe, too, that followers of Jesus who had abortions will see those babies in heaven as well.

We can also draw comfort in Jesus' love for the innocents. In Luke 18:16 he says, "Let the children come to me.” I believe through Scripture that Jesus holds a very dear, loving, special place for little children, and that would include the unborn.

What age will I be? How can I recognize my babies?
This is an unanswered mystery. We know we will recognize one another and that's all. In 1 John 3:2, John writes, “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when He appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is." Some have tried to speculate that based on this verse we all be about the same age as Jesus, when he was crucified – about 30.
I don't believe that, personally. I just have confidence we will recognize one another. (End)

No comments:

Post a Comment