Monday, November 28, 2011

Confusing Joy and Happiness?

Joy is one of those words that has a different meaning for those who follow Jesus.
In the context of the dictionary, Joy is synonymous with happy, or even “happy-plus.”
But, happiness is short-term, happiness is dependent on circumstance, and happiness is rooted in temporary things of Earth. World Class Chocolate ice cream from Baskin Robbins makes me happy, but then the ice cream is gone. Happiness is gone with it. At Christmas, how many times have parents worked to find just the right gifts for their children, making them happy for a few hours on Christmas morning, and then watching as toys are never touched again? I know lots of people who are happy because it’s Friday, but then slip into dread as Monday approaches. Happiness is temporary.

When we sing of “Joy To The World” at Christmas, we aren’t singing about temporary happiness.
We are singing about an eternal Joy that comes from knowing Jesus as personal Savior. Romans 8:9 – and many other places in Scripture – reminds us that when we accept Jesus as Savior, we are “controlled by the Holy Spirit if you have the Spirit living in you (as believers do).” One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit, as defined in Galatians 5:22-23, is Joy. So, for believers, Joy is not some fleeting emotion like happiness. No, Joy is a permanent seed of our new character brought about by a relationship with Jesus.

Just like fruit on the vine or the tree, the Joy within us must grow and flourish. How do we let the Joy in our hearts grow so that we experience it more and more and with greater consistency? We do what God wants us to do. The Holy Spirit is constantly whispering “do this, go there, say this, press forward, fall back, say nothing, encourage, love, be kind” and many of us ignore it or we are just too busy – too self-absorbed – to hear it. But, if we would hear God speaking to us, telling us to act in love and service toward others, the byproduct is that we are blessed and experience a growing Joy as we become more Christ-like. Joy comes from drawing closer to Jesus by putting feet to our prayers and action to our words, sacrificing self for others.

Yesterday, I had opportunity to visit someone in the hospital. I love my friends, but I found myself stalling. “Wait on the end of the Panthers game.” And then, “People don’t want to be bothered in the hospital.” And, then, “I’ll check in with them tomorrow when I’m near that part of town.” But, within my core, I knew. I heard. “Go.” And, so I went, and I was so very glad that I did. In fact, I was blessed by going because I did what God wanted me to do. I experienced Joy by going, and then I experienced happiness by getting World Class Chocolate ice cream afterwards.

This Christmas, experience Joy by listening to the Holy Spirit’s call to love and serve sacrificially as God sacrificed His son for us.
What is the Holy Spirit calling you to give away or give up this Christmas for the sake of serving others? Will you experience Joy this Christmas or just fleeting happiness?
When Christmas is over, will  you be sad that it’s over or will you be filled with a growing Joy that takes you into 2012 and beyond?
Will I really sing, “Joy To The World” as an expectant anthem that because of Jesus’ birth every man, woman and child can have the ability to experience Joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment