Monday, November 21, 2011

Genuine Love

In Romans 12:9, Paul begins writing about love. “Let love be genuine.”
As the Holy Spirit comes to live within each believer, we are transformed to love as God loves. We should feel this push, this urge, this motivation to love both sacrificially and unconditionally. And, Paul doesn’t put parameters on this love – he says we should be “devoted” to one another. That means we are to work toward a sacrificial and unconditional love toward everyone, including total strangers.

You see it’s generally easy to love our spouses and children, parents, and siblings sacrificially and unconditionally. Almost all of us have sacrificed for someone in this network, and we generally forgive when wronged.
But, what about extended family, like cousins? I can’t recall sacrificing very much to love and serve one of my cousins.
What about friends? Well, I’ve given of time and money to my friends, but I’ve not sacrificed very much for them. I’ve not eaten Pork n Beans to send my friends to Outback.
What about strangers? Sure, we give to charities and maybe to the Salvation Army, and we help when it’s convenient. It’s not part of my nature, however, to sacrifice, unconditionally, my time, abilities or finances to strangers.

Several years ago, I was going to lunch with a group of Columbia pastors. We pulled up to an intersection and a man was there with a cardboard sign around his neck. The pastor who was driving the car rolled down his window and spoke to the man. The pastor then removed his wallet, and gave him *all* of his cash. When we got to the restaurant, the pastor ordered a cup of soup for lunch. Another said, “You aren’t hungry?” The pastor said, “I gave all my cash to the guy at the intersection.” Someone joked that he could put his lunch on the church credit card, but it really wasn’t a “business lunch.” Of course, we all offered to buy his lunch, but he refused that. I wondered why he didn’t use a debit card or another credit card, but it wasn’t any of our business. Looking back, and knowing this good man, I think he wanted to enjoy the blessing of the sacrifice. That we were spectators was more uncomfortable for us than it was for him. Finally, I said, “You know he probably took your money and went to the liquor store.” And, the pastor looked at me and said, “Our Lord told me to help him; not to judge what he would do with the help.” I felt about 2-inches tall; it was like Jesus was speaking through this pastor. I could feel Jesus saying, “Shut up, Scott.”

It doesn’t make sense does it? But, nothing about following Jesus; nothing about faith is logical. More often than not, we aren’t asked to understand or figure it out or know how the story ends – we’re just told to love and serve others sacrificially and unconditionally. That’s it. Believers aspire toward the goal to make this kind of love a part of the daily Christian lifestyle.

Seriously, I’ve been given this day. It will never come to me again. Whose life will be better because I lived today? How much of my life can I give away today to improve the life of someone else? Did I live this day following Jesus or serving myself?