Monday, July 9, 2012

The J Word 5: Be Willing

By Chuck Cordovano -- Over the past month, we’ve discussed getting comfortable with Jesus; sharing our stories about Jesus with others, and encouraging others to talk about Jesus.  We should all develop our own concept of personal evangelism – how we share Jesus with others.  We’ve talked about two things we must do:
1.      Be Social – Jesus was social and Jesus called us to make disciples of others. 
In the 40 days after his crucifixion Jesus returned to the Apostles from time to time.  The Apostles kept asking him if the time had come for him to free Israel and restore his kingdom.  In Acts 1:7-8 Jesus says, “The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” So, we too, are called by Jesus to witness – telling people about Him in our lives.
2.      Find Common Ground – Once we decide to be social, we have to find common ground with the people we are around to allow the Holy Spirit to move within us and find the opportunity to speak about Jesus.  In Acts 17: 16-33 Paul preaches to the Athenians.  It’s a great example of finding common ground with others in order to talk about Jesus.
I would add one more thing we must do to share Jesus with others . . . Be Willing.  We’re around other people, we’re working out, we’re on a business trip, we’re having lunch with a friend; we have to be willing to listen to the Holy Spirit and look for every opportunity to share Jesus with others.

Two weeks ago, Scott gave a convicted lesson on the Holy Spirit in each and every one of us.  Do you hear God’s voice inside you?  Do you feel you should do something, say something, help someone, and yet you don’t respond?

I do.  All the time. 

Many of you know I’m an alcoholic.  But, by the grace of God, I have not had a drink in more than 11 years.  Through my experiences and my struggle with alcohol I came to know Jesus.   One of the foundations of our class is the concept of having a faith story.  We have been urged to write our faith story and share it with our family, our friends, those un-churched; whoever the Holy Spirit nudges us to tell.  If you can’t tell someone your faith story and explain how Jesus has worked in your life, you may find it hard to witness to others.  If you need help with your faith story, ask, or go to the web site where we have a link that will help you understand how to tell your faith story.

I was blessed to be asked to share my faith story with the class a few years ago.  Although it was hard to stand up and tell a bunch of Baptists that I was a sinner and an alcoholic, it was the truth and admitting that truth to myself led me to Jesus.  I won’t go into that story with you today but I’m happy to share it with any of you.  Sharing it has given me the opportunity to help others.  I will say this:  Alcoholism is a disease of dishonesty.  Alcoholics are the biggest liars in the world.  Our inability to see what our illness does to those we love and the excuses we make to them result from the lies we tell to them and ourselves.

I have a beautiful wife and daughter who have never seen me drink and that is a blessing.  Unfortunately, I’m still a sinner.  I’ve seen so many people turn away from church because they believe we are hypocrites.  They also have been so beaten down by churches and religion in the past that they just figure they are going to hell anyway so . . .
Although we are sinners, although we are human and fail, we have to try to live and love others as Jesus would have us live and love.  We have to “live it.”  As much as I try to live a life of faith, I constantly fail. 

I do try and share my faith with others.  I look for opportunities.  Mention church on the tennis court and I’ll ask you what church you go to and tell you about mine.  If you don’t have a church home, I’ll invite you to LBC and the V Class.  I attend MOVERS, our men’s group that meets Saturday mornings.  We are always reading and discussing a book that relates to our Christian life.  So, when I travel I usually board a plane with a Christian book.  It opens opportunities to share with others. 

A few years ago, after we spent some time talking about the importance of our faith story, I was in Chicago with a client I had come to like very much.  We were on Michigan Avenue and across the street was Second Presbyterian Church, a beautiful church dedicated in 1874 known for its architecture and stained glass.  The Holy Spirit moved me to ask Rusty about his faith and tell him my faith story.  It turns out Rusty was troubled and had little faith in Jesus.  I urged him to find a church home and a Sunday School class and I told him I loved him.

Last year, another client, Eddie, spent almost two weeks in Lexington so we could work on a project.  Eddie is a wonderful young man in his 30s with a wife and two small children.  Eddie had never been to Waffle House.  So, I took him.  As he ate hash browns, scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, diced… with EVERYTHING on them I asked him where he went to church.  Although he was Christian, he didn’t go to church, and, being young, was confident he was in control of his life.  As an old alcoholic, I knew Eddie was not in control of anything and told him so.  Again, a chance to share my faith story, urge him to find a church home and Sunday school class, and to let him know I loved him.

A few months later, Eddie learned he had stomach and testicular cancer, and he and his wife had a new baby on the way.  I hope Eddie’s faith helped him get through the cancer.  He is in remission today, has a two month old baby, and a new house.  I hope my sharing with him helped him become closer to Jesus.  I thought of calling him and asking but decided the fact that we could talk about Jesus is enough for me.  The sharing is enough.  Being willing to share, being willing to listen for the Holy Spirit and to ACT is what’s important.

It’s the times I believe I hear the Holy Spirit and don’t act that affect me the most.  But, if I am social and looking for common ground with others and I’m willing to listen for the Holy Spirit’s quiet urging and, I try to live my life that way, I become closer to Jesus and help others do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment