Monday, August 13, 2012

When Jesus says, "Go" - it's not optional

In the last words of Matthew, the apostle writes that the 11 remaining disciples (Judas is dead) left for Galilee and went to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they arrived, they saw Jesus, who was preparing to take His eternal place at the right hand of God. Seeing Jesus, the disciples worshipped Him, but some still doubted. Jesus (Matthew 28:18-20) told them, “I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

The Bible is full of rich Scripture passages, but for me this is one of the richest of them all. Ben and Jerry’s makes an ice cream flavor called Chocolate Therapy. It contains chocolate ice cream, chocolate cookies, and swirls of chocolate pudding. It’s loaded. That’s how I see Matthew 28:18-20: Loaded.


Jesus proclaims Himself as King Of Everything – heaven and earth. You and I must bite down on that one. When I was a little boy, my daddy had complete authority over me. I did exactly what he said, and if I refused there were consequences. If there was wiggle room it was because he gave it to me and not because I demanded it. He was the boss of me. Well, Jesus trumps that father-son and every other relationship that I have. Jesus has authority over me and everything about me, and that authority extends to everything, everywhere, natural and supernatural. So, when Jesus says “Scott, go do xyz” I have two responses – submit and do it, or reject Him. If I reject Him, I am disloyal. Whew. Reject Jesus? Whew, again.

Because Jesus is King of Everything, when He says, “Go! Make disciples . . .” I have no choice but to do it. Neither do you. None of us have a choice if indeed Jesus is our Savior and our Lord. In the context of today, I believe Jesus is saying, “You have slipped into believing faith is sitting in a seat, serving on a church committee, throwing your coins in an offering plate, and calling yourself a ‘Good Christian.’” That’s not good enough. That’s not “going.” Jesus is saying, “Do Something – and not just roll back poverty at Christmas.” No. Jesus is saying, “The end result is not the going and doing – the end result is making disciples, seeing people baptized, and teaching the gospel to people who haven’t heard it.”

And, Jesus reminds us that as we step out of comfort zones and "Go," we don't have to worry about anything. Because He is "always with us - until the end of time as we know it" and - He is King over everything, including both our comfort zones and where we are being called to go.

When my dad told me, “Scott, go cut the grass,” I went and cut the grass. When my dad said, “Scott, I need you to help me after school today,” I helped my dad after school that day. As my authority, He commanded and I submitted.

Jesus expects that, too. Business commitments? Family commitments? Physical restraints? He understands all that because all of that is under His authority, too. Still, He says, “Go, and as you go, be prepared to share your faith story.”

If Jesus knocked on your front door and said, “Come with me. I’ve got something for you to do.” What would you do? What are you doing? He is knocking all the time. His call to “Go” is constant.

Our class response to this Scripture mandate is to a be a missional Sunday School class. That’s why we are involved in partnerships with Lexington Interfaith Community Services (LICS), our Behind The Badge work with local law enforcement agencies, our annual walk with Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, our trip to North Dakota, and our response to Lexington Baptist Church missions and ministries. It’s why I want to see us be intentional about providing devotions at Sunday morning youth sports events. It’s why we have adopted a parking lot to greet people on Sunday mornings. It’s why we engage local benefit projects. God may be calling you to lead us in a new partnership. Because as we get our hands and feet involved in faith, we build partnerships and relationships, and through those the Holy Spirit will help us share Jesus with others. The end game is not the charitable work. The end game is making disciples and seeing people come to know Jesus as Savior . . . and King of Everything natural and supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment