Monday, September 24, 2012

Intentional Ministry

By Chris Hammett -- How does ministry translate to you?
How about the word intent?

I want to look at the concept of doing and being church with intent. Random acts of kindness vs. intentionally acts that lead to KINGDOM reward.

For the most part we could testify, this class wants to help the hurting. This class does wonders when there is a need brought to them. Whether it’s Operation Kyle, Imagine Christmas, Hammy’s for Tammy, and the list goes on and on, we open our hearts and wallets when called on.

What about your day to day life? What about the family next door, or the coworker down the hall?
How many times do we wander through a day and everything we do is reactionary? You know, just going through the motions of life. Wake up, get a cup of coffee, drive to work, get another cup of coffee, look at your daily schedule, do what you do, have lunch, do some more of whatever you do, leave work drive home and the rat race goes on and on.

What was the last thing you did with intent? It could be any number of things. I contend that whatever it was you made a plan. Why should ministry be any different?
On Feb. 27, 2008 the NCAA announced it had reached an agreement with the city of Omaha NE. to extend the Baseball Collage World Series for 25 years which included Omaha City building a new stadium. My wife and I have given each of our children a Special 16th birthday gift. With Rebecca it was a trip to NYC with her best friend. With Adam it was his SCUBA license and a dive trip in the Dominican Republic. I like to think of myself as a baseball guy and Isaac had taken an interest in baseball as well. When I heard they were closing Rosenblatt Stadium and building a new stadium in Omaha I asked him if he wanted to go. I also asked him if he wanted to take anyone. He chose a friend and I spoke with the dad and he agreed. Tickets went on sale on April 3, 2008 at 10:00 eastern and was sold out by 10:12. I had secured 4 books of General Admission tickets and seated tickets for game 4 and game 7. Next, I called our travel partners and let them know we had tickets. Did I mention this was April 3? There was no way of knowing who was playing in the CWS let alone which teams would be playing games 4 and 7. Next we started looking at flights and hotels. We decided we would stay in Lincoln and drive the 46 miles into Omaha each day. Plans were made, flights were booked, and rooms were reserved. Now we wait till June 15 to go to Omaha. Did I mention Isaac and I are Carolina fans, and his friend and dad are Clemson fans? Most of you know how the Old Rosenblatt stadium was closed in 2010.

I share that as an example of doing something with intent. I want to look at a couple of places in the Bible where followers did things with intent. First let’s look at Acts 9: 10-18. Here is where God calls Ananias to do something he very much did not want to do. Saul (later the apostle Paul) was not someone Ananias would have ever sought out to minister to. The scripture records when God called him, Ananias never said NO. He just wanted God to understand what He was asking. Once that was clear Ananias did what he was asked. Do you think he hem hawed around? The Bible says he went to Saul and called him brother. No beating around the bush. He intended for Saul to know who had sent him and why he was there.

Now look at Genesis 22. We all know the story of Abraham being asked to sacrifice Isaac. Look at vs. 3-8 of Genesis. 22. Abraham did what God asked with intent. I can’t imagine what he was going through. But what he did was answer God with Intent.
No, Abraham didn't find wood along the way; he got up and cut the wood to take with them.
No, Abraham didn't sleep in, giving God a chance to change His mind. Abraham got up early the next morning.
He even brought the fire. No ZIPPO or BIC liters in those days. Everything he did he did intentionally. No accidental obedience here.

Have you ever wondered what people really think of you? I think we all have from time to time. What about what we think of ourselves? A survey taken in 2009 by one of the leading denominations determined 85 Percent of people surveyed felt they we good people. You know all the right reasons, I don’t steal, I haven’t killed anyone, and I don’t cheat on my wife etc . . . You may even be one of those GOOD people. How many people do you expect to win for CHRIST by just being good? Can you be good enough? When is the last time a lost person came to you and said “you are really good and I want to know JESUS because you do”?  When Sharon and I went on staff with the International Mission Board, they were very clear. We were not being sent just to live a good life in front of others. We were being sent to build relationship that would lead us to introduce people to JESUS. NO OTHER REASON.

Why should we think doing ministry is any different? God calls on His people to share the Good News of Salvation. When you share, it’s more than letting people see what you have. I could be having a double slice of cheesecake and if you see me enjoying it might cause you to want a piece. Unless I offer you a bite, you are most likely only going to want it. You probably won't ask for it. I contend that salvation is much the same. When things are rough and we lean on Jesus people see that and may even want that. Really though, how many do you think will ask for it? I want to challenge you to think about those you come into contact with daily. How many of them have no personal relationship with JESUS? Then ask yourself what you can do to introduce them to JESUS. The rest is up to HIM. ACTS 1-8 is very clear as to what is expected of us. Like any good witness we are to share what we have seen JESUS do in our lives.

Make a plan. I shared that Sharon and I lived overseas and we were intentional about building relationships that would lead to faith sharing. You may be the person God has called to go and tell them what He has planned for their lives. So I guess all that is left is to ask: "What is your plan to reach the lost in your life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment