Friday, July 26, 2013

Beware the Thief

By Monty Hope -- Growing up the son of a Southern Baptist Music Minister in a small town was always interesting.  My mother, ever the right brained, creative, emotional entertainer has always had a problem with time.  She never has been able to gage time and surely has an issue showing up on time.  One warm, summer, Sunday morning I was a good little eight year old and got myself ready for church.  With plenty of time to kill, I climbed into the front seat of our ‘74, Chevy, Impala and rolled the windows down.

Well, time kept on ticking and I got a little antsy.  Compared to the right brained personality of my mother, I am diametrically imposed.  Even as a young child, I was severely left brained (logical, not emotional, concerned about time, etc).  So, with time clicking away, what was a left brained little boy to do?  That’s right, get on the horn.  The first series nor the second series of honks brought any attention.  It was on the third series of honks that all hell broke loose.  My mama erupted out of the house with screen door swinging behind.  Her hair was done, her makeup was done, but she was only wearing a slip.  She extracted me out of the Impala through the open window and, before she planted my feet on the ground, there were at least three swats to the backside.

Why so much trouble on Sundays?  I dare say that during my childhood I got more beatings on Sunday morning that any other day.  While I will never blame my sinful actions on the old phrase “the Devil made me do it,” I do believe Satan, the Thief, was and is very interested in disrupting the Lord’s day.  This is especially true if that day is going to be a day in which the gospel is spread and lives are saved.  Revelation 12:12 says, “Therefore rejoice, you heavens and you who dwell in them!  But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you!  He is filled with fury, because he knows that his time is short.”

So, if you think the Thief is a little ticked and wants to disrupt a simple day of worship, imagine what he wants to do because of the revival that is occurring in our class?  According to Charles Spurgeon, “When the devil roars at anything, you may rest assured there is some good in it. The devil is not like some dogs we know of; he never barks unless there is something to bark at. When Satan howls we may rest assured he is afraid his kingdom is in danger.”

Revival is occurring because of one simple fact.  The Gospel of Jesus is being taught.  Even more importantly, the Gospel is being taken beyond the four walls of our class into the community and world. There is no doubt Satan must be shaken by this revival.  The more he is shaken the more desperate his actions may become.  We must be on guard for the thief.  Will we be so enamored with what “WE” accomplish that we forget Jesus is accomplishing it?  Will we be so focused on what “WE” need from this class that we forget our goal is to share what we receive with others?  Will our pride be hurt because we are not included in this group or that group.  Will we not recognize our goal is to include others and not worry about being included?

Take head, but also take heart.  Jesus says in John 16: 33, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Yes, there will be trouble.  Anytime Jesus is using us to expand His kingdom, resistance and pain will be encountered.  The wonderful thing is that the same Jesus who is our message is also our deliverer.  He has overcome this word.  He has overcome the Thief.

No comments:

Post a Comment