Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Is God ashamed to be called my God?

By Chris Hammett - Think in your own mind the things of which you are ashamed. Things you or someone you know have been a part of that you don’t want anyone to find out; Skeletons in our closet so to speak.

Now think of the things of which you are proud. Pride can be something you have accomplished in school, the workplace, sports, and many other areas of your life. Pride can also be an emotion that we had no part in achieving. Coming off this week’s holiday you look around and see images of pride and freedom in our country, but really how many had a part in securing and defending our freedom? I was not in the country after 09-11-2001, but I heard stories of a great outpouring of national pride and commitment to freedom. Flags were being flown everywhere, bumper stickers were on almost every car and truck and so on. For these who have served for me to have freedom I want to say thanks. PRIDE or being proud is a deep emotion. My question for myself and each of us today is this "Is God proud of me”?
Most of us have those family members we just don’t want to be seen with. You know the ones with unspeakable baggage. I have a brother who spent eight years in federal penitentiary. If I brought him in here none of you would know it and I would be comfortable. However, when there is a family reunion  the family knows his past and there is a sense of embarrassment when he comes around. I also have a family member who has chosen to live a homosexual lifestyle. When she and her friend come to family events it is very uncomfortable for most. I know if you ask the parents in both cases they will tell you that they love these two family members, but they are not proud of them. They are even embarrassed of them and their choices.

I have shared of times in my own life when I have not been proud of things that I or my children have done. I have also shared of times when I have been very proud of my children. These are my children and yet they cause me both pride and embarrassment. I don’t love them any less. And the hurt from embarrassment is very real.

At this point I want to make a clear distinction that I am NOT talking about Salvation. Salvation is when you put your life in Christ’s hands and confess your are lost without Him. You acknowledge your lostness and ask for forgiveness. Just as a child has an earthly father we can have that relationship as Children of God and that relationship can never be broken. When I speak of pride and embarrassment, I'm speaking of how we live our lives out in faith.

I am sure God sees me as I see my children. Some of my choices have pleased God and then other have embarrassed Him. Look at Exodus 32:7-10. This is the account of the First Tablets God had given to Moses. While Moses was on the mountain with God the people became restless and built the Golden Calf and worshiped it. You see God’s displeasure. You see how God is feeling? Does it sound like He is proud to be called their God? 

What does it take to have God proud of us?  First I want to make sure you understand perfection is not required. Look at the people God with whom God is ashamed. Hebrews 11 is not a listing of people who always did everything God asked them to do. Hebrews 11 is a list of people who had faith and it was credited to them.  In Hebrews 11:5-6 the writer speaks of Enoch and because he pleased God, God took Enoch away. 

Ask yourself these questions:
Why should God be proud of me?
How do I live out my faith?
When I see God face to face will He welcome me as in the parable of Matthew 25: 21 or will there be awkwardness as I am welcomed into the kingdom?

WILL God Ashamed to be called My GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment